May 20, 2019
Finding humor in the circumstances of life can lift moods with laughter and help people to better deal with and overcome difficult experiences.
When you laugh…levels of stress hormones decrease and endorphins, the body’s natural pain blockers, are released. We have so much to gain from laughter!
Some of the benefits include:
- Relief of stress
- Decreased anger
- Ease of anxiety
- Increase in energy levels
- Help in accessing a new perspective
Incorporating humor into your daily life has many potential benefits, including strengthening your immune system, improving mood, and reducing anxiety.
Any amount of humor in your life, no matter how big or small, can significantly improve your overall well-being. Here are some ways to surround yourself with laughter:
- Find friends who make you laugh
- Host a game night
- Look at pictures or videos of animals
- Tell a joke
- Smile more
Humor and laughter reduce the risk of developing chronic health conditions.
- Stress and the hormones it produces can do a lot of damage to the mind and body over time
- Since humor and laughter reduce the amount of these hormones, it has been shown that they can help reduce the risk of blood clots, heart conditions, and other stress-related diseases
- Laughing causes our muscles in our face and body to stretch, makes our pulse and blood pressure go up, and forces us to breathe faster which sends more oxygen to our tissues
Ways To Incorporate Humor Into Your Life:
- Read a funny book
- Reach out to someone who gets your sense of humor
- Find a TV or movie that tickles your funny bone
- List three funny things that happened to you each day
Mental Health of America has created several fact sheets regarding the importance of mind-body balance on mental health. Click on the image below for a tip sheet about humor.
To learn more about this topic and other mental health awareness activities, visit Mental Health of America www.mentalhealthamerica.net