October 1, 2017
LGBTQ, Suicide, and Mental Health
Mental health issues among LGBTQ youth is on the rise and it is important to be aware of the statistics and potential interventions to assist the LGBTQ community. Prevention and support is possible and here are a few tips:
- When a youth discloses his or her LGBTQ identity, respond in an affirming way
- Use the name and pronoun the youth (he/she/they) identifies with
- Welcome a youth’s LGBTQ friends or partner
- Support a youth’s expression through choices of clothing, jewelry…etc.
- Provide a safe and welcoming environment
- Educate yourself about LGBTQ issues, and resources (visit www.gsafewi.org)
YScreen can help identify and connect the LGBTQ population with school and community resources. YScreen can assist this population with positive coping techniques, a safe space to express their feelings and emotions, and be an ally/advocate for the LGBTQ youth. YScreen is available to teens in Fond du Lac County. If you would like to request screening for your child or would like more information about YScreen, please contact us at (920) 906-6700 ext. 4714.