While stress is not always a bad thing- and in small doses can help us perform better and focus more -prolonged stress may lead to physical and mental health issues. Early warning signs of stress can be your body’s way of telling you to slow down and deal with stress before your health is compromised. It is important to be able to recognize these symptoms before things escalate. Help the youth in your life know what actions to take.
Signs of Stress Overload:
- Sadness or depression
- Withdrawal from family or friends
- Panic attacks
- Trouble sleeping
Common Examples of what Causes Stress for Teens:
- Being bullied
- Crammed schedules, not having enough time to rest, and always being on the go
- Relationship/friendship stress
- Family conflict
- School demands such as homework
- Deal with stress symptoms early…develop healthy coping skills to manage stress.
- Since stress is a physical response, it needs a physical release. Exercise is essential to allow your body to get rid of the stress hormones that accompany the stress response.
- Learn more about relaxation techniques and find the ones that are effective for you.
To learn what actions to take if someone is feeling stress overload, visit: Skills You Need
YScreen is an emotional health screen that can assist in identifying areas of concern and help reduce stress. YScreen is available to teens in Fond du Lac County. If you would like to request screening for your child or would like more information about YScreen, please contact us at (920) 906-6700 ext. 4714.